Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Warm ashes; faintly-glowing coals

I have a confession to make.

I have no blog post lined up for today.  I’ll admit that for at least a day or two, I completely forgot about publishing at all.  But the other days that I did remember, I just didn’t bother to write anything.  Which is entirely my fault.  But in my defense, my grandmother died Monday night.

Jeez, that’s weird.  We’ve only known about the cancer for a couple of months.

But I’m not going to talk about that.  There may or may not be a memoir of sorts published at a later date, but there’s no way that writing one tonight would do her any justice.  I’ll save that for when I can actually form coherent thoughts.  The point in saying that at all is that I haven’t been doing a lot of “deep thinking” lately.  That or I’ve been doing too much and I’m just sort of burnt out.  Either way, I’ll write more about that later.

This post isn’t about her.  It’s about . . . well, nothing in particular.  Not yet, at least.

This post is about all that random logistical stuff that I didn’t bother address when I started this blog . . . over a month ago.  So here’s what’s up.

I’ve been publishing, or attempting to publish, one post/article/rant every five days since the kickoff post.  It worked fairly well when I wasn’t in school, and in the first few weeks of school, because I didn’t really have a large workload yet.  Well, I am finally entering into a routine where I don’t think the every-five-days style is going to work.  Because, A) There are seven days in a week, not five.  Therefore the actual day of the week on which I would post is not consistent.  It’s hard to build a routine around a moving target.  And B) It’s just a little bit too often, considering my current workload.  I have spare time, but I have to be careful about how I spend it.  And frankly, making new friends, catching up with old friends, attending church, etc. all come before blogging.  Sorry, inanimate publishing space.  Oh, and C) I don’t always have ground-breaking ideas (or other . . . randomness) to share every five days!

So here’s the plan.  I’m cutting my blogging schedule down to once a week (I know - such a big change).  As of right now, my plan is to publish something every Saturday, although that may change if I decide another day works better.  HOWEVER - and this is important - I will not limit my writing to a once-a-week pattern.  If I have thoughts or other randomness to document, then I will write smaller posts or share random things throughout the week as well.  Basically, I’m obligating myself to write independently from academics at least once a week, but I am not limiting myself to one post per week.  I hope that makes sense.  I think it does.

So, anyway, there’s that.  That’s all I can think of at the moment.

Now, enjoy a few terribly-written newbie haikus I've written over the last several weeks (really though, I’m working on my poetry skills) . . .

Lake Michigan winds
I left my heart behind there
When can I go back?

We are so broken
Where is there a place to hide?
Waiting for the light

The newness of dorms
Is the greatest adventure
In the smallest space

There’s no place like home
If home is where the heart is
But my heart can grow

Not a fan of school
Education is much more
Than jumping through hoops

As you can see, I need to keep practicing on that front.  But they’re still really fun to write.  My friends got me hooked.

Now.  I have homework to do.

[Insert clever less-abrupt blog post ending here]

1 comment: